Dermatologists agree that pH levels are so important for our overall skin heath. So, what exactly is pH balance and why is it so important for our skin?
The pH is a numeric scale that indicates how acidic or alkaline something is. The pH scale of 1 to 14… 7 is neutral… below 7 is acidic and anything above 7 is alkaline. Normal skin’s pH is between 4.8 to 6 and our skin should be slightly acidic.
Our skin’s acid mantle protects our skin from environmental factors that lead to aging and skin irritation. Basically, acid mantle is our skin’s protective layer. That barrier helps keep moisture in and bacteria out. If your pH balance is off and it’s too alkaline then you skin may appear red or flaky and become irritated. If your skin is too acidic that may increase your chances to have a more severe skin condition such as acne or eczema. THIS…is why it’s so important to maintain a normal pH balance for your skin.
So how do we maintain our skin’s normal pH balance?
- Use a pH balanced acid free toner.
- Use a natural sunscreen.
- Use natural pH balanced skin care products.
- Eliminate soaps and harsh cleansers.
- Wash your face with warm water, not hot.
- Do not scrub your face with a rough washcloth.
- Use topical antioxidants that strengthen your skin cells. Such as Vitamin C.
- Eat a healthy diet with lots of leafy greens that are filled with lots of antioxidants.
It’s hard for us to measure our pH balance ourselves but a dermatologist can help if you have any sort of skin conditions. If you have normal healthy skin, then more than likely you have a normal pH balance. Your skin and face are the first thing people see so take care of it and make sure to smile and feel beautiful!
Melissa Gauvreau – Styled by M